Wednesday, August 08, 2007

So far, so good

When the surgeon sent me to OT after last Thursday's stitch removal, they basically just made a splint and gave me a couple pages of stretches to do with my hand and wrist to get the range of motion back. They didn't do a full eval of how I was doing because it had been only about 30 minutes since I got the cast off. They did however book me for twice a week therapy for the next couple weeks as a follow up. My goal was for them to basically kick me out after the first or second appointment because I didn't need to be there. Well I almost did it... I've been a cooperative enough patient (read: guy who leaves his splint off all day and sits in an office so he can do his stretches all day long) that they've already cut me back to once a week and even that may turn into just a couple checkups. There's a couple things that I still need to work on, but overall the girl was impressed that it's come so far already. The big downer is that she said typically with this type of injury and repair, it's 6 weeks post-surgery before the bone is "healed" and 8 weeks before you're unrestricted. The start of cross season is going to get f'd up a little if I decide to listen to them so we'll see. I gotta get the pedaling legs back going anyways so I shouldn't be worrying about racing yet.

Not a whole lot else going on I guess. Work is nuts. Home is about what you expect with 3 kids. We did do a bedroom swap with the boys so the oldest had his own room and the littlest has now taken this opportunity to decide he's going to get out of bed about 100 times a night. In his other room he'd go in for bed, we might hear from him once, and then we saw him in the morning. Something about the swap (maybe it's that the new room is where he's always gone to play instead of sleep) has made him parade out of the room as many times as he can get away with and then last night he came out 3 times during the night. He goes back pretty easily without throwing too much of a fit, but it's only a matter of time before he comes back. He's obviously screwing with us.

Back on bikes... I got word yesterday that I may only be 2-3 weeks away from getting the cross frame. Ordering the rest of the parts this weekend so I can stick it to the state and save my whopping 5% (on top of the sweet club discount of course). The timing will be perfect since nothing will give you more incentive to go out and ride than a pretty new custom bike :)

Someone turn off the heat or at least crank the dehumidifier...

2 comments:

gewilli said...

kids...

they make life worth while...

i wonder how those old folks (my age) without kids do it... more often than not they look as tired as i do, yet... their only excuse is staying up late partying or watching TV or surfing for who knows what on the net...

oh and about the PT - don't over do it... let it heal...

trackrich said...

It's funny, I've realized recently that everyone wonders how someone else "does it". People always end up asking themselves "How does so and so afford that house?" or "How does so and so manage with 2 jobs, 3 kids, and 2 masters degree programs?" It's gotta come down to it all being about choices. Everyone makes their choices and they make things work for that. Everyone is giving up something for what they have, but to them, it may not seem like they're giving it up. Ok, that's my bit of philosophy today.

As far as PT, I'm being very good about doing my prescribed work, but very paranoid about everything else. I still won't reach for anything with that hand and I try to be very careful with it. I just want to make sure that when I get the ok, I'm 100% that day.