Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Another reason cycling is expensive

Food. That's right... you think gas is expensive for your car? Try buying enough food to replenish the 1300 calories you burn riding to work... and the 2500 or so you burned yesterday... and the 2000 a day you need to just function. I tell ya... eating becomes a challenge sometimes and it sure does empty the wallet quick too. Definitely time to restock the food drawer in my office with a BJ's size box of oatmeal and maybe some Newtons (Mmmmm, bug infused fig paste). Anywho... skipping the ride home tonight and getting a Zipcar. Planning to ride home tomorrow night, but the wife is concerned about the fact that it's going to be about 100 degrees. Might ride half way and then get a ride. We'll see...

The pool was officially christened for the summer last night (without me... still need a couple more days before I pour chlorine in the healing skin). Turns out the oldest can stand in the pool now. Yes, he's 6.5 and he can stand in our 52" wall height above ground pool with his head above water. Granted the water is a little low right now, but c'mon. This poor kid will be singing the I-can't-buy-pants-or-bikes blues by the time he's 10.

Ok, back to work or something that looks like it.

4 comments:

gewilli said...

wuss...

the first day i rode to work, in my second week of working here, the day after getting a $30 parking ticket, it was close to 100 degrees. And stayed there for the whole week.

Your surface area ratio is great for the heat provided you can stay hydrated...

I'm gonna keep riding in this weather.

why not?

trackrich said...

I can't believe you're not melting. You wear shorts when it's 10 below. Tonight was a pre-planned ride skippage. I wouldn't be able to stand by Thursday morning if I rode in every day... I'ze not that good yet.

gewilli said...

zat is why i take sat and sun off...

really messes with racing ;)

C4 said...

I think the eating is the hardest part of doing any endurance sport. Once you're eating 5-7k calories a day just to maintain your weight it really becomes a chore.

A co-worker once told me they were jealous that I could eat whatever I wanted. I couldn't quite get them to understand that I don't get to eat whatever I want I HAVE to eat whatever I can.