Friday, May 18, 2007

It's a matter of perspective

The weather this morning at 5:15 a.m. was about 42 degrees and raining... and I went out for a ride. Now if this had been a normal week and today was a scheduled workout, I would have either written it off as a rest day or set up the trainer tonight. The weather was hideous for biking. Instead I got out of bed a little on the early side, got dressed, happily jumped on my mountain bike and went riding around on the town bike path for about 30 minutes. By the time I got home, my legs were completely pink, bordering on red, and numb. I had my rain jacket on, but everything not covered by that was drenched. I had a great time. It was a combination of just enjoying riding a bike and a small sense of accomplishment for being back on one in less than half the time originally predicted. Plus now I am able to take my son to see Shrek tonight and not feel like I missed a chance to ride.

The other night I had seriously considered whether it was wise to jump into Wells this Sunday even if I just rode a few laps and then bailed. I had decided that not having been on a bike outside yet disqualified me from going. Despite having been outside this morning I think it's still a bad idea. I am however starting to take a close look at the upcoming schedules to see when and where I'm racing. I was going to wait until Housatonic on the 17th, but I may go to CT for some mountain biking before then if I can prove to myself I won't hurt myself worse.

Busy day tomorrow, but then quiet Sunday. The youngest turned 2 on Wednesday so the family is coming over tomorrow to have cake and give him more toys that will get piled onto the toy store we already have in the house. I beg them every year with every child to stay under control, but they don't listen. I'll just have to start loading up the truck and dropping the excess back at their houses :)

Oh, and I'm now keeping track of the Floyd case for pure comedic value. The testimony of the lady who did the testing is total crap and LNDD looks like a bunch of lying idiots. And what the hell with Lemond... I think I've finally given up on having an opinion on that guy. You never know what the hell he's going to throw out there...

No comments: