Friday, January 23, 2009

You know you're from New England when...

I had this long rambling post almost composed this morning at around 4:45 and then figured out that even I had lost track of what the hell I was saying. The summation was this: You know you're from New England when you have a full understanding and associate fear of ice dams. At 9:30 last night I noticed the kitchen ceiling was wet. At 9:45 I was waking up children and neighbors trying to chip ice off the roof. I quickly gave up and remembered that the task is most easily completed mid day, preferably when it's about 40 degrees... huh, that kinda sounds like the past couple hours so I need not tell you what I've been doing. Damage sufficiently minimized I think. Stupid house...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ice dam is one of the big problem for all in cold season.Do you know any ice dam removal system?


thermal technologies

gewilli said...

best ice damn technology is an experienced roofer ;)

fortunately our ice has (so far) been staying on the outside of the house...

G-ride said...

Once again, Gewilli talking outa the wrong hole. Best ice dame technology is INSULATION! Fighting the water infiltration is an expensive, futile, "wrong side" approach.

Go up in the attic and look for air gaps in the insulation. Does not take a very big gap to create a significant hot spot which heats the roof.

Cold roof, no ice damn.

Best way to go up in there with thermal imaging. Usually the electrical utility will do that for you for free. At least in Vermont and NY. Or you can hire a guy for not too much.

Ventilate and insulate. Rent an insulation blower for the day from Home Depot and buy a few bags. Its wicked cheap. I think I spent 300 bucks or so to do the entire attic of my garage/office when I built it, and its a foot thick. Its easy to do.