Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Confidence Builder

I rode to work today. I rode the fully pimped fast bike because my other bikes are in all sorts of disarray. The way in I averaged just a bit under 20 and didn't feel super for the first half of it. The way home I averaged 21.5. The ride home is a net positive elevation gain... and I was wearing a backpack with my work clothes in it... and I was dodging traffic... and pedestrians... and annoying little dogs on those frickin extenda-leash things. I had a killer ride just before Sturbridge last year and we know how that turned out so let's try to not relive that.

Oh, and the world is in balance in case you were wondering...
This morning, a friend of mine was riding to work on a not very busy street with plenty of room for him and the few cars. Two idiots in a crappy old Crown Vic drove up next to him and the passenger yelled out "Get a car."

Tonight, I was going through Watertown and there was a line of cars at a light that turned green. I was going up the side of the line (in a bike lane) and the guy just in front of me throws on his blinker to turn right. I had visions of bad things when suddenly he looked in the side mirror, saw me, and stopped to intentionally NOT cut me off. I very cheerfully thanked him through his open window and had faith in drivers again for a second... then I remembered that a friend's wife got tagged while riding this morning. She'll be ok, but is a little banged up. Keep your heads up kids...

No comments: