Friday, May 08, 2009

Is it too early to start a CX discussion?

Nah...

Now I'm not sure how many people out there have a first-hand perspective on this, but there's gotta be a few... Typically, which is the faster field: A-Masters or the Killer B's (2/3)? My gut feel is that the standard podium crew is faster in the Masters field than the 2/3 field, but the average pace of the field as a whole may be higher in the B's. I could be way off on this, it's always seemed however like Mark and crew have a legit shot at the front end of a pro race where I'm not so confident about Colin and friends (no offense intended man... I still can't carry your water bottles for you).

Debate/Discuss...

2 comments:

Colin R said...

The A masters race is slightly faster top-to-bottom than B men.

The two races usually ride the same number of laps so it's easy to compare. Most of my top-5 B men's finishes would have put me in the 10-15 range in A masters.

If you're wondering what field to race, you'll find plenty of tight competition in either at your current speed. You'll be a bit closer to the front in B men.

solobreak said...

My limited experience in these groups leads me to agree with your assumptions. The leaders of each race are both fast. The back end of a masters pack falls apart faster. Maybe it's only the bottom 10-20%. When I did B races the gaps at the back did not seem to open as quickly as they did in the masters.

When there is a B masters race offered, that tightens up the A field a lot.